Sunday, January 13, 2008

Golden Globes


I am absolutely over the moon that my two favorite performances of the year, Jon Hamm as Don Draper in Mad Men and Marion Cotillard as Edith Piaf in La Vie en Rose, and my favorite show of the year Mad Men, actually won. My favorites never win. For Cotillard it means an Oscar nomination for sure (she should walk away with it if I had my druthers). And as for Jon Hamm and Mad Men, here's to a second phenomenal season (hopefully longer) and a budding movie career for Hamm (Clooney, watch your back!)

As for the Golden Globes "Winners' Special," of course I missed the red carpet, but I wasn't too upset about the new format. Usually I like the Golden Globes and the SAG awards better than the Oscars because they combine the worlds of television and movies, the evening seems more intimate and informal, and the jokes and speeches are usually pretty good, but I didn't miss them that much. Although I would have loved to see Jon Hamm in a tux giving his acceptance speech, a sartorial fantasy that one can only hope will be fulfilled next year. I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up having another "Special" like this for the Oscars, the way the strike is going. Anything to get out of the Debbie Allen choreography numbers.

2 comments:

Joy said...

I'm a fan of the Golden Globes, but I don't usually watch them. I'm glad to see some of the noms, and shake my head at others. Usually though, I think the Golden Globes get it right more often than the Oscars.

Vertigo said...

Marion Cotillard as Edith Piaf in La Vie en Rose was flawless!! I am a big fan of Piaf's music and watching this movie made me like her music even more.