Monday, January 23, 2006

Congratulations to Mr. Pamuk


I just got a Google Alert that the charge of violating Turkey's Penal Code section 301 has been dropped against Mr. Pamuk. I am very happy for him, but saddened that the case was even allowed to be heard. They also need to reprieve the other writers that are less known, but still being charged under that law. If Turkey wants to join the EU, stuff like this cannot happen.

I just began reading Mr. Pamuk's work when I was in London this past October, on my morning subway commute. His voice is one of the more original that I have recently encountered in literature, so much so that I hastily went on to My Name is Red after I read Snow. Imprisioning this man would have made Turkey the laughing stock of the International Community. Especially when all he did was mention that no one talks about the Armenians and Kurds that the Ottomans killed.

No comments: