Saturday, December 02, 2006

Wish Fulfilment


Today was one of those days where I didn't really expect anything special to happen, and I was pleasantly surprised. On the spur of the moment, my sister and I found ourselves at the Getty Villa in Malibu. I had been meaning to go there and see it since it had reopened, but never got around to making the reservations to go. As we drove by on PCH, I just said to my sister, "Hey, let's go there!" And we did! Etruscan statuary here we come!

It was the perfect day, the perfect weather, and the perfect serving of "CULTURE" as all my sister's boyfriends call it. So of course the most impressive part was the formal colonnaded garden (pictured). It has a serious tranquilizing effect, and as you come to the edge of it, a balcony overlooking the eucalyptus with the sea in the near distance. But the special treat was the herb garden. Hyssop, Quince, Sweet Bay, Plum, Olive, Lime, Balm,...the scent was phenomenal, and the breeze brought new scents to you as you walked along the path. It was a very special place that I'd love to return to. I even put a penny in a fountain and made a wish...I am never that sentimental or superstitious, but it seemed like the thing to do.

So then we proceded to lunch at the "new" Malibu Inn. What can I say, it always ends in tears for me there. But that was merely a blip in the day.

The apogee for me was FINALLY after what, oh 10 years of searching and searching...I finally got me a David Bowie tee-shirt. And it has magenta glitter on it. This makes up for any deep-down residual sadness I may be experiencing for the loss of the mythic Liza workout tee.

1 comment:

Joy said...

Sounds like a beautiful, perfect day. With a Bowie Tee.